Thursday, April 29, 2010

Deferential to the end

It seems literacy rates are falling. It may be tragic from a societal stand point, but for me it is not happening fast enough.

A lot of our citizens can still read which is good for people who write books, blogs and graffiti. When they read they are critically evaluating the subject matter, determining if any of the content applies to them; how they might use the newly acquired knowledge to further the interests of mankind and improve their own lives. Of course this may not strictly apply when people are reading Twilight or The Vampire Lestat. Then there are all of those things published on all of those websites about the lives of the rich and famous. That really is not serious reading. And a lot of the ‘news’ we get now is simply advertising for new products, movies and assorted pieces of drivel, thanks to the infotainment reporting industry. There is a lot of good stuff out there to read and people seem to be reading it, sharpening their skills and their minds.

The real problems starts when we, the blog writers of the world, astute observers of life and the human condition, start to express ourselves about things going on around us. Let’s face it, people do things. Sometimes they do silly things, really silly things. And sometimes those people are within my own sphere of existence.

When I witness one of those incidents it becomes fodder for my own writing, which is where the ethical dilemma starts. Do I relate the tales of my own in-laws and friends misdoings risking family discord? Do I just tell it like it is and let the truth stand as my shield? Will misdirection work or can they still see themselves in my prose?

It is people and the things they do that provide so much of the comedy in the world, at least the funny stuff. Too many of these people can read. Even those who can’t read have internet access and seem to be able to recognize themselves in the stories of mayhem and ribaldry that are such an essential part of so many blogs.

From a writer’s perspective petty judgmental drivel can be very satisfying to produce. And we already know how tasty it is to consume.

The reality is that most of the people I might offend will never read this blog, not because of their own deficiencies, but simply because my work does not stand beside the works of Jonathon Swift, Moliere or Oscar Wilde. So I will refrain, take he high moral ground and confine myself to uncontroversial material.

That should keep my wife happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment