Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Leisure

What a great word. It People have so many interpretations for what qualifies as a leisure activity but the word, as a noun, simply indicates freedom from the demands of work. Two of the many nice compartments we divide our lives into; work and leisure.

So just what might quality as a good subject for ‘leisure’? Photography, camping, gambling, painting? There were too many ideas to choose from so I looked to my 2 year old son, TroubleMaker to provide me with a bit of insight; after all he doesn’t have many of my prejudices yet.

This past weekend we took a drive in the country looking for a suitable location for a picture I wanted to take for our 2011 calendar. We finally found the location in a hay field half an hour outside of town. One of the props we brought with us was TroubleMaker’s tractor.

When TroubleMaker caught sight of the huge round hay bales in the field he became of a single intent: to tractor the bales! So that is what I have selected as my photograph for this week. Tractoring hay bales may not fall into the realm of traditional leisure activities but it was his choice and I have to learn to respect his choices. He doesn’t have a box he has to worry about thinking outside of yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment